Mahayana Buddhist Sutras in English
To help English readers interested in learning more about
Mahayana Buddhism, here is a collection of links leading
to English translations of Mahayana Buddhist Sutras.
The merits of making these sutras available belong to all the translators.
I shall accept neither credit nor reward for this compilation, not from
anyone and never in any time.
My sincerest thanks to the translators for spreading the words of the
One of the Five Precepts of Buddhist practice is to make
no statement that is untrue; therefore:
- Please inform me if you discover slander of the Triple Jewels (The Buddha, The Dharma, and The Sangha) in any hosting site; upon verification, I will remove the corresponding link immediately.
- Please inform me if any of the links is wrong or obsolete.
- Please inform me of any error you observe.
- Please forgive me if there are errors in the translations which I have no control over. I do not necessarily agree with the philosophies presented by these hosting sites, but I sincerely appreciate their kindness in making the translations available.
Also, please inform me of other English translations for sutras spoken by the Buddha that are missing from this compilation.
Finally, if you are new to reading a particular Sutra,
please read all the different versions to absorb the essential teachings.
I humbly recommend the translations from the Buddhist Text Translation Society,
with respect to their accuracy and completeness.
Best wishes and thank you for visiting.
Please click on the Chinese title enclosed in frame for viewing the traditional Chinese/Kanji Text in GIF format (no decoding needed)
- The Avatamsaka Sutra (The Flower Adornment Sutra), Chapter 39 (excerpt) Translated by The Buddhist Text Translation Society
- The Avatamsaka Sutra (The Flower Adornment Sutra), Chapter 11 (excerpt) Translated by Thomas Cleary
- The Avatamsaka Sutra (The Flower Adornment Sutra), excerpts of Chapter 1 Provided by the Da HuaYen Monastery
- The Avatamsaka Sutra (The Flower Adornment Sutra), Chapter 40 (excerpts) Translated by The Buddhist Text Translation Society
- The Avatamsaka Sutra (The Flower Adornment Sutra), Chapter 40 (excerpts) (PDF Reader Required) Translated by Upasika Chihmann
- The Avatamsaka Sutra (The Flower Adornment Sutra), (various excerpts, including Chapter 1) Provided by The Buddhist Information Society of North America
- The Avatamsaka Sutra (The Flower Adornment Sutra), (excerpts from Chapter 1,2,33) Translated by Benjamin Root (WARNING: downloading of .chm file required)
Mahayana Sutras are emphasized in this site because they are ones which
I am familiar with, such that I can uphold them properly. I am shallow and
ignorant in my knowledge and I try to not incur malicious karma
by misinforming. There are Theravada Sutras which are studied
by Mahayana students, and those which I am fortunate enough to be
acquainted with will be presented here.
If you read Chinese and your system supports BIG5 encoding, then you may
want to check out the comprehensive sutra collections provided by Chinese Buddhist Electronic Text Association or National Taiwan University
Email your comments or suggestions